Monday, March 24, 2008

Summerfest

Part six Years ago Orem City used to have a city celebration called Summerfest in June. Summerfest now is a lot bigger with more fun things to do like rides, booths, and food. In the early 70's, for the Fest, Orem held a huge baseball game that seemed like the whole city attended. They also had a parade in the late afternoon down STATE STREET! It's hard to believe that they would shut down State Street for a parade, now they have it down Center Street. The Tigerettes marched with the Orem High School Band, that was something that I was not really looking forward too next year, (only the senior Tigerettes performed). It was way too hot to march on the hot pavement in the summertime (I remember Terry complaining about the heat). Orem City also held an evening parking lot dance for anyone who wanted to come, of course only the youth would come. Now it was this particular dance that I desperately wanted to go to. Why? I was going for only one reason--to see if Alan would be there! I was hoping and wishing that he would be at the dance too, because you see, I was still pining for him! You were also able to see all your friends that you hadn't seen since school was out. It was strictly a social thing, because in the 70's there wasn't much for youth to do, oh wait, that's right, there still isn't! I had talked my best friend and neighbor, Colette, to come with me. She really didn't want to go to the dance, but with my coaxing she gave in to my pleadings. I still remember what I wore. I wanted to look COOL, the word that kids use now is HOT! I had on plaid bell bottomed pants. I know, I know, what's with the plaid, sorry, it was the in-thing then. And with the plaid pants I wore a sleeveless, creamed colored, belted tunic that I had made. I had fussed with my hair and make-up until I looked perfect. I remember feeling a little nervous about going, after all, I was still shy around people. I was thankful that Colette had agreed to go with me or I wouldn't have gone. We showed up around 8 p.m. and looked around. We both felt a little awkward because Colette was shy too. The dance was held at Safeway's grocery store parking lot, where Smith's Food King is now. The band was playing loudly and a huge crowd of girls and boys were just milling about. Colette and I decided to go in the store and walk around just to kill some time and I don't know why else, just for something to do I guess. After walking around the store a bit we decided to go back outside to the parking lot-- then it happened! He was just standing there, just right outside the entrance to the store. He looked amazing. He looked tanned, with muscles bulging under his T-shirt, his hands in the pockets of his jeans, and that smile, I'll never forget that smile. I smiled back. Yes! My heart stopped for a moment, then it started racing. He reached his arm out to me, and I did the same with my arm at the same moment. It looked like it was almost planned the way that we had reached for each other. He started walking toward me and I realized that my wishes were coming true. Again. He was here, and he looked like he was happy to see me.

5 comments:

Austin said...

stop leaving us right when you get to the good part! ;)

i don't know why you say you're not a good writer, kris. or rather i do. you're not good- you're EXCELLENT!

more more more!

Tracie said...

Aww...cute. So, what happened next? Did Alan break up with Marsha and pledge his love to you? We're eagerly awaiting the next part to find out.

Jen said...

Ditto, I can't wait another moment to hear the rest!

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

I agree with Austin here!

It is like only being able to buy a great romance book, only one chapter at a time per week!!!

I just love imagining through your stories about my parents when they were young, all that and a big baggy of chips.

(or should I say baggy plaid pants?)

Cheryl said...

You have such a great memory and it's so detailed. More, more!