Thursday, March 20, 2008

My First Day of High School

Well, here goes.  I had just finished summer.  I worked in concrete and was outdoors most of the time setting foundation forms and later practicing football and trying to make the team.  I had gained a pretty good tan, and my hair, (yes I had hair then), was slightly sun-bleached.  Of course, I didn't know that the "Tan and Sun-bleached" look would be such an attraction to the girls.  I always had a girlfriend from the time I was in the first grade.  My first one was named Ann.  I remember she had very light blonde hair and a red dress with white trim.  Her family moved to California towards the end of the year and I was heartbroken.  I decided at that time, not to get too close to girls, though I still liked being chased by them and wanted to say I had a girlfriend.  Looking back, I realized, I was quite a serious and deep thinking person. I have always been that way.  Deciding on the name of my first son while in the 8th grade. Because I liked girls in Jr. High, I always had a "girlfriend" around me.  It was kind of a game.  Give them a ring.  Hold hands and walk around the school.  Break up after some magically determined time, and then start the process all over.
The first day of High School was no exception, I had a girlfriend that was a carry over from Jr. high.  Her name was Marsha. She was very cute and very nice.  She was really my first "real" girlfriend.  Taught me how to kiss and all that stuff, but I wasn't married to her, and I felt I had some freedom to at least be "nice" to the other girls.  High School began, however, with the return of my worst nightmare.  I didn't even know his name.  Just a big, tall, tightly curled, red-haired, bully.  My nemisis from Jr. High.  He picked on me all through 7th and 8th grade.  Now I wasn't really afraid of him, but I was so shy and embarrassed, that I would just stand there and let him do his thing.  I had been playing football the last half of summer and as I walked up the front lawn of the High School on that first day, all my football buddies were around me. The bully kid came up from behind and took my wallet out from my back pocket.  Now, as I turned around and saw him, my stomach kind of churned like the old butter maker I used to turn when I was younger.  I could feel my face going flush and tiny beads of sweat began to form on my brow and just below my nose.  I knew with all my football buddies around, I had to make a stand.  I could no longer ignore him.  I was playing line backer on the football team, and today was my first game.  I couldn't play tuff on the field and turn my back on a bully right in front of my friends.  I said, "Give me my wallet back",  He said, "What ya going to do about it?"  Oh boy, here it is, that defining moment when you know, it's either do something now or slip into the deep recess of total nerdyville.  I took a deep breath, made up my mind, and decided; if I die, I die.  I walked with a show of boldness right up to him, grabbed the front of his collar, pulled his face down to mine until our noses were just barely touching, and said words I had never said before; "If you don't give me back my wallet right now, I'm going to knock the "S_ _ t" right out of you.  At that moment I said it and I meant it.  He knew I meant it too.  He returned the wallet and told his friends I was not worth it. I knew he was the scared one.  From then on, he avoided me completely.  Whew!!
Now, getting back to the real story of my first day...   the first time I saw Kristy. ( to be continued)

5 comments:

Kris said...

I never tire of listening to that story. My hero! Great post honey! Can't wait to read your point of view of our first meeting.

Austin said...

Aw! just when the story starts getting interesting! more more more!

Cheryl said...

Who knew! I can just picture it. Though I didn't think you had a potty mouth. :)

Jen said...

It is so fun to read these stories.

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

Five minutes later..

sorry, still LAUGHING my head off here.

I had no idea I had my father could do that!

To be a fly on the wall, back in time...